Doctors use angiography to diagnose and treat blood vessel diseases and conditions. Angiography exams produce pictures of major blood vessels throughout the body. MR angiography can be done with and without contrast.
MR angiography uses a MRI machines to produce detailed images of both blood vessels and tissues in various parts of the body.
The procedure is noninvasive and doesn’t require recovery time.
MR angiography is helpful in examining blood vessels and the organs supplied by them in various body parts, including:
- abdomen (such as the kidneys and liver)
- legs and feet
- arms and hands
Physicians use MR angiography to diagnose and evaluate many diseases of blood vessels and related conditions such as:
- blood clots
- congenital (birth-related) abnormalities of the cardiovascular system, including the heart
- disorganized blood vessels, such as vascular malformations
- vessel rupture or tearsز
- Inflammatory vessel wall changes (for example, lupus erythematosus and vasculitis)
- Patients with mechanically/magnetically activated devices as cardiac pacemaker, cochlear implants.
- Patients with metallic foreign body in the eye.
- Pregnant women in the first trimester (benefits versus risk to be assessed).
- Patients with ferromagnetic surgical clips or prosthesis.
- Recent kidney function in case of MR angiography with contrast.
- No preparation needed for the non-contrast study.
- Patient should be food fasting 4-6 hrs before the exam in case of contrast enhanced study only. Adequate hydration is needed and recent kidney function test should be available at the time of your examination.
- In case of claustrophobic patients, the examination can be done in one of our open MRI machines or under anesthesia.
- MRA examinations is done while the patient is lying comfortably on MRI table.
- No after care or precautions needed following non contrast enhanced study.
- In case of contrast enhanced study drinking plenty of water is advised to help to wash out the injected IV contrast material out of your body except if you are on fluid balance for renal or cardiac condition you may consult your physician and in case of lactating mothers it is advised to escape lactation for 24 hrs after the contrast injection.