- It help in detection of ligaments and tendons injuries.
- It helps in diagnosis of ankle impingement.
- It help in detection of osteoarthritis.
- It help in diagnosis of tumors, their nature and assess the extensions.
- It helps to assess inflammatory conditions and detect is extensions.
- Patients with complaints of pain or decrease the range of movement of ankle joint, history of trauma
- Patients with mechanically/magnetically activated devices as cardiac pacemaker, cochlear implants.
- Patients with metallic foreign body in the eye.
- Pregnant women in the first trimester (benefits versus risk to be assessed).
- Patients with ferromagnetic surgical clips or prosthesis.
- IV contrast administration in neoplastic and inflammatory conditions.
- Patient should be fasting 4-6 hrs before the exam in case of contrast enhanced study only.
- MRI can scan the ankle joint in about 30 minutes while the patient is lying comfortably on MRI table.
- The examination is done on one of our highly advanced MRI machines available in our Cairo branches.
No after care or precautions needed following non contrast enhanced study.
In case of contrast enhanced study drinking plenty of water is advised to help to wash out the injected IV contrast material out of your body except if you are on fluid balance for renal or cardiac condition you may consult your physician and in case of lactating mothers it is advised to escape lactation for 24 hrs after the contrast injection.